What is Magento?
Magento is an open-source eCommerce platform coded in PHP programming language. It is one of the most famous open eCommerce systems in the network. This platform was originally established by Varien, Inc, a US private company headquartered in California, with assistance from volunteers.
More than 100,000 online stores have been formed on this platform. Also, the Magento platform has been downloaded and implemented more than 2.5 million times, and $155 billion worth of products have been sold by Magento based systems in 2019.
After a successful image in the eCommerce platforms, later November 17, 2015, Magento 2.0 was released along with various features changed in V2 and many solutions have been added for their customers.
Why we need Magento?
As Magento is an eCommerce platform having an open-source technology, it provides online wholesalers or retailers a flexible shopping cart system, also a huge control over the look and feel, content and functionality for their online stores. It offers a powerful marketing feature and numerous useful options, features for search engine optimization, catalog management tools and a lot of other features that are needful for sellers.
Magento got a great ability to allow wholesalers or retailers shops with so many products and provide simple needs to easily expand thousands of products and apply custom behavior without changing the platforms. It offers a huge variety of plugins and awesome themes that can easily enhance a customer’s experience.
What sort of problems Magento caters?
There are few problems that Magento caters but gradually they can be overcome with some technical and hardware solutions. Also, they can be ignorable in case of having huge facilities on the other side. Following are the few problems drawbacks of using Magento platform:
- A major drawback of using Magento is PHP based platform because at a specific point the Magento application may use more gigabytes of RAM due to heavy process. But by using a proper server this problem can be overcome.
- For handling functional stuff, without the proper skills on the Magento can be risky as Magento development requires a suitable and appropriate team who must have relevant experience working on the Magento platform.
- The Magento is completely made by an application of enterprise Java, but the codebase is in PHP language. The development team should be well capable to have a major knowledge about PHP Zend Framework or JAVA because they will take some weeks or months to understand the Magento and to exploit the platform. While using the backend and Magento functions is very simple.
What are the Magento features?
There are numerous features that Magento provides to its customers. And most of them are very useful, necessary and beneficial for Magento users. Some of the common features are following where many sub-features are also included.
- WEBSITE MANAGEMENT FEATURES
- CHECKOUT, PAYMENT, & SHIPPING
- SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION (SEO)
- ANALYTICS AND REPORTING
- MARKETING PROMOTIONS AND TOOLS
- ORDER MANAGEMENT
- CUSTOMER SERVICE
- CUSTOMER ACCOUNTS
- CATALOG MANAGEMENT
- PRODUCT BROWSING
- CATALOG BROWSING